The Aboriginal Prenatal Nutrition Program is a federal program that offers support to urban Aboriginal women and their babies up to six months of age. Program addresses nutrition and healthy eating, breast-feeding circle support for women, preparation for labour and birth, preconception, stages of pregnancy, teen pregnancy, and promotes healthy lifestyles.
The Aboriginal Prenatal Nutrition Program is here to offer educational, cultural, preventative, and supportive services to expectant parents and infants to six months of age.
This program was developed by Brighter Futures, Health Canada to provide direct services and programs for expectant parents and infants in the area of nutrition, prenatal education, labour and delivery, breastfeeding, and cultural teachings.
- To provide educational, supportive, and cultural services to expectant parents.
- To promote healthy lifestyles during and after pregnancy.
- To promote breastfeeding and offer support and education.
- To provide nutritional education and support too pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and infants to six months.
- To help parents develop positive traditional family values that are culturally based.
Programs and Services
- Prenatal Health Teaching: individual or group classes - topics include healthy lifestyles, prenatal development, labour and delivery, postpartum, infant care, breastfeeding topics, and cultural teachings.
- Nutrition Education: shopping on a budget, nutritional eating (pre and postnatal), collective kitchens, food supplements, safe infant feeding practices and gardening.
- Cultural Healing Circles: provides education, support, nutritious snacks and fellowship with other Mothers and Fathers
- Baby/Infant Massage
- Cultural Arts: provides cultural crafting activities and teachings
- Infant weigh scale available on site for caregivers wishing to weigh their babies
- Home visits and Hospital visits
NOTE: ALL PROGRAMMING ACTIVITIES TARGET THE SPIRITUAL, PHYSICAL, AND INTELLECTUAL NEEDS OF PARENTS AND THEIR CHILDREN.
Join us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/PrenatalWorker/
Please take this quick survey to help us assist service users in programs and services: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W5DKC9S
Phone: (807) 274-8541
Fax: (807) 274-4067
United Native Friendship Centre, Aboriginal Family Resource Centre
616 Mowat Avenue
Fort Frances, ON P9A 1Z3
Monday - Friday
8:30 - 4:30