The Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Program offers support to Aboriginal people who may have alcohol/drug addiction. Services are available for youth and adults through one-to-one counselling, group counselling, education and prevention programs, referral to treatment programs, and also offers an aftercare program.
To assist Aboriginal people in addressing alcohol/drug issues and minimizing the negative substances for Aboriginal individuals, families, and communities.
- To promote healthy lifestyles free from alcohol, drug and solvent abuse within the Aboriginal community.
- To promote existing Ministry of Health sponsored treatment service models within the urban community.
- To promote healthy alternatives to alcohol, drugs, and solvent abuse.
- To promote a culturally appropriate system of addiction treatment services and programs for Aboriginal people with alcohol and drug abuse problems.
- To increase knowledge and sensitivity through awareness for service providers in the addiction field.
- To increase the effectiveness and provide cost effective treatment, service development for alcohol and drug abuse programs with the Friendship Centre.
- One-to-one counseling - Individuals who need help or referrals to A&A meetings, Alateen or Alnon should they believe they have an alcohol or drug-related problem.
- To establish a network of service agencies to work in unison to provide assistance for individuals with an alcohol or drug-related problem.
- Liaison with treatment centres to provide the best possible services for clients.
- To establish a resource centre with information pertinent to alcohol, drugs, or solvent abuse which includes videotapes, pamphlets and books.
- To coordinate programming via workshops, presentations, and seminars to make the community aware of the negative effects of addiction.
Support Circles (Recovering from addictions)
Treatment Centre Referrals
Fort Frances Tribal Area Health Services: 807-274-2042
Dryden Detox and Crisis Line: 1-866-888-8988
Changes Recovery Home:
Del Art - 807-547-3444
Clarissa - 807-468-3667
Biidaaban Healing Lodge: 1-888-432-7102
Health Canada : 807-274-7771
Migisi Treatment Centre : 1-807-548-5959
Dilico Treatment Centre: 1-807-623-7963
Lakeside Treatment Centre: 1-705-674-4193
Balmoral Centre - Thunder Bay, ON: 1-807-623-6515
Morning Star - Kenora, ON: 1-807-468-5749
Alcohol Foundation of Manitoba:
Atikokan Crisis Centre: 1-800-465-3348
Tanya Foy-Hunter, Alcohol & Drug Worker
United Native Friendship Centre
P.O. Box 752
516 Portage Avenue
Fort Frances, ON
Phone: (807) 274-8541
Fax: (807) 274-4110
Monday to Friday
8:30 to 4:30